In 1954, the city of Louisville established its first Sister City relationship with Montpellier (France) with a partnership between the University of Montpellier and the University of Louisville. Two years later, in establishing a People-To-People Program President Dwight D. Eisenhower placed “faith in the great promise of people-to-people and sister city affiliations in helping build the solid structure of world peace.” (Watch the 9-minute press conference here.
After establishing a few more sister cities relationships, Sister Cities of Louisville was established in 1978 to aid Louisville’s sister city program, still run through the Office of the Mayor. In 1981, the formally moved all Sister City programs to Sister Cities of Louisville. For more on our history, please click here (link to History webpage)